NeSmith Nursery Garden Almanac
For business hours and maps to our garden centers, see our locations.
The gardening tips and advice offered by NeSmith Nursery on this page are to help you be successful in your gardening and landscape adventures. We hope these prove to be beneficial to you.
Monthly Gardening Advice
- If you want a green lawn for the winter now is the time to over-seed your grass with Annual Ryegrass. Do not use over 10 pounds per 1000 square feet.
- Continue to plant cool season annuals such as Pansies, Violas, Snapdragons, Dianthus and Calendulas.
- Plant ornamental Cabbage, Kale and Mustard.
- Plant Camellias for beautiful winter garden blooms.
- Start your holiday decorating with wreaths, trees, garland and poinsettia. Our favorite Christmas tree for needle retention is the Frasier Fir. NeSmith Nursery Christmas trees are on display in stands with water for the freshest tree you can purchase that has been precut.
- This is a great planting month for trees and shrubs.
- Buy your spring-flowering bulbs and place them in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks to give them enough chill hours for maximum blooms. This is especially helpful for Tulips and Hyacinths.
- Plant Amaryllis bulbs and Paper-White bulbs in pots and take indoors for beautiful blooming houseplants.
- Refresh mulched beds of pine straw.
- Feed the birds.
- Continue your fertilization of annuals with ferti-lome Bedding Plant Food at 4-6 week intervals.
Come and enjoy a few minutes or a few hours at either of the NeSmith Nursery locations. We guarantee it to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.