NeSmith Nursery Garden Almanac
For business hours and maps to our garden centers, see our locations.
The gardening tips and advice offered by NeSmith Nursery on this page are to help you be successful in your gardening and landscape adventures. We hope these prove to be beneficial to you.
Monthly Gardening Advice
- As the weather begins to cool down you may begin to plant some annuals to enjoy such as marigolds, petunias and snapdragons. Wait until the end of the month or next month to plant your pansies as the heat will cause them to be very leggy.
- Plant some fall blooming shrubs such as Encore Azaleas, Camellias and Cassia.
- Plant perennial chrysanthemums for beautiful fall color.
- Divide over crowded perennials.
- Fertilize lawn with ferti-lome Winterizer fertilizer.
- Plant fall vegetable plants.
- Plant trees. Some with beautiful fall leaf color are Japanese Maple, Bradford Pear, Ginkgo, Dogwood, Red Maples, Tulip Poplar, Shumard Oak and Crape Myrtle.
- Continue to monitor your lawn and garden for water needs. To maintain the beauty of your landscape it is much better to give a weekly deep soaking to your grass and plants than frequent light watering. Pay attention to any state or local water restrictions.
- Continue to monitor lawns for insect damage.
- Continue spraying roses with ferti-lome Liquid Systemic Fungicide every 10-14 days. Read label for instructions on application.
- Continue monthly feeding of roses with ferti-lome Rose and Flower Food.
- Treat fire ant mounds with Ferti-lome Come and Get It Fire Ant Killer.
- Feed the birds.
- Plant container grown trees and shrubs.
- Continue your fertilization of annuals with ferti-lome Bedding Plant Food at 4-6 week intervals.
Come and enjoy a few minutes or a few hours at either of the NeSmith Nursery locations. We guarantee it to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.